Translate

Wednesday 8 August 2012

Going up high on the coast at Höga Kusten, Kvarken Archipelago

View from Skuleberget

Steps on Skuleberget - perfect solution for Mow Cop?
 
01/02-08-12
View from Skuleberget
Isostatic uplift following the ice age means the High Coast/Höga Kusten in Sweden is still rising 10,000 years after the last ice age glaciers pushed the land down. The evidence includes raised beaches on tops of the local hills. Another example of geology in the making. And, yet another UNESCO World Heritage site as part of the Kvarken Archipelago.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_High_Coast
 
Skuleberget (School mountain) summit
So, for me, a perfect place to take a break from the long drive through Lapland and explore. Especially as the sun was shining - at times.


I started with the rather popular Skuleberget from the Naturum visitor centre. I confess I did not use the Via Ferrata route - on the other hand I didn't use the ski-lift from the other side of the hill either. As it was late afternoon I had the summit to myself .
Slattsdalberget

Slattdalsskrevatt
 

Next day I went to have a look at the ravine Slattsdalsskrett in the Skuleskogen national park and then up onto the hill summit. Much of the route to the ravine was on slippy wooden boards - I think I would have preferred stumbling over the mix of tree roots and boulders underneath.





First time I have seen a picnic table on a 'Marilyn' summit – Hogklinten

The SOTA (Summits on the Air) website lists a number of 'Marilyns' in the area - although suspiciously their prominence figures are all rounded to the nearest 10 and there seems to be quite a lot of P150s. I decided to go for one of the highest if not the most prominent, Hogklinten (281m/P150) - mainly because there seemed to be a track all the way to the top.



Bouldery beach high up on Hogklinten


No comments:

Post a Comment