Translate

Saturday 1 June 2013

GOM-El Torreon del Pinar

31-05-2013
Back in Spain
Now here's the thing, back in Spain, thought I would grab another Major whilst I could. Looks like I git the timing right, another day and it would have been technically closed. Mind you I suspect I wont be the last person this summer to go up there and that there will be people who defy the notice somehow - I know I would probably do so.



I didn't spot another sign until I got back down that you are supposed to get permission to go on the path anyway, from the El Bosque visitor centre - tel 956709733. So there was me trespassing anyway.
As it happens the route finding is pretty straightforward once you have sought/ignored permission and arrived  on the right date. I started from a small car park at 847m N36.75491 W5.43569. The path traverses away from the summit until it makes a broad turn at around 1045m N36.76043 W5.43935 until it crosses a large sink hole at 1500m N35.76413 W5.42634. Itis at this point that the JMH level of difficulty as being 'median' rather than 'facile' is justified. There seems to be a choice of scrambly routes to the summit, although only one of them has the markers that are occasionally used to show the way. The summit is graced by a small rusty bolt and steep drop over the other side - great panoramic views all round.

One of the signs at the start - just follow the yellow line.
Sendero El Torreon i.e. the path of the towers
View west on the way up
The path squeezes between some rocks
Told you it was steep on the other side
Looking down from the summit
Rusty summit bolt
El Torreon del Pinar summit

Overnight in the Camping Los Alcornocales Parque Naturel, Jimena de la Frontera.

No comments:

Post a Comment